Thursday, September 17, 2015

50 Shades of Chapter Book Grey

When I first started writing chapter books I didn't realize what a small world it was! It's sandwiched between the two gods of picture books and middle grade. Most people consider chapter books a picture book because each chapter usually has a B&W illustration. I've seen others, who say early middle grade. I don't know the answer, but I do know that it's the place for me to be. I've recently submitted to a wonderful contest #PBParty hosted by Michelle Hauck and Sharon Criscoe on Twitter. They've helped me to connect with more chapter book authors and get some questions answered. We've definitely identified that there is a grey area with agent submissions. As hard as I try to research, it's hard to know who is interested in chapter books. I've found many at the Bent Agency, Andrea Brown Lit., Nancy Gallt Agency, Pippin prop. and Brandt&Hochman agency. Yesterday, I took a field trip to the library to look at CB acknowledgements to see if I could find who agented their series.

Interesting findings: 1. 50% of CB were self-sub to publishers because that was how it was back then, 2. I did not find even ONE acknowledgement to an agent (serious sad face), 3. My internet searchings were successful, but limited (mentions above).

So, what I would love to find, is those out there that accept CB queries that may not advertise it as much. The ones who say PB and that includes CB, or ones that say MG and would be willing to look at CB. Thus, my new # is born. #CBagenthunt. If you find or know of any CB agents please tag them or add them using the #CBagenthunt. Let's get the 50 shades down to maybe 25...

5 comments:

  1. And I love your blog as well, Pam. ;) I'm on a mission to get a bit of sleep tonight...but I'll be back tomorrow to read your posts...you've got a lot to say...and I love the way you say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun blog - please put in a gadget for us to subscribe by email, OK? I used to live in Utah....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added a gadget for the first time! I feel so accomplished. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. Yep-lots of grey regarding CB's. Thank you for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q: Can anyone tell me the difference between K2 and IQ? A: Nthn. In Seventh-Heaven, we'll gitt'm both HawrHawr Need summore thots, ideers, wurdz or ironclad iconoclasms? Look no firdr, goirly...

    VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI: As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go through in this lifelong demise, I just wanna help U.S. git past the whorizontal more!ass! we're in (Latin: words to [the] wise)...

    "This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find corpulent eloquence" (paraphrased). Lemme tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, party-hardy-endorphins, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girl passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires.

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3

    Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible. See you Upstairs. I myself won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com
    infowars.com
    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH
    -------------------------------
    PS Need summore unique, uncivilized, useless names? Lemme gonna gitcha started, brudda:

    Oak Woods, Franky Sparks, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, Roman Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Penelope Summers, Sophie Sharp, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zacharia Neptoon, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Franz, Victor Payne, Isabella Silverstein, Mercedes Kennedy, Redding Rust, Martini Phoenix, Ivy Squire, Sauer Wolf, Yankee Cooky, -blessed b9...

    God blessa youse
    -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

    ReplyDelete